Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite country in East Asia

Thailand: The fake smiles

I'm not quite sure what people who say this expect off a bunch of strangers in a foreign country.

So you want genuine, sincere smiles? At you right? What would this ideal smiler be smiling about exactly? So a waiteress at a food stall doesn't smile to your liking. Ruins the whole holiday, does it?

And why should their smile be so genuine, sincere and unfake? They owe you something?

Unless they are referring to their own close Thai friends who might have cheated them in some way
    Last edited by Pat; 09-20-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Woosh. You missed the point.

Not restricted to Thailand either, it's the Asian way of disarming peeps or if they don't understand what you are on about. You ask 'why' the standard Chinese response is 'no why'. I rather like 'no why' use it meself when I don't want to explain why.

The context being Thailand is the Land of Smiles I was referring to people you work with and people you are in contact with every day.

You've never been the recipient of a fake smile? You haven't lived.

I hardly ever hang around to check if it's a real smile

I'm too busy dashing to the Grand Palace at 11am before it closes

Japan, I admire their consideration for other people and the politeness. There must be some negatives but it's light years nearer to civilized behavior than Thailand will ever reach. You don't see millions of soi dogs, rubbish all over the road sides, people yakking away on phone's in public transport, hundreds killed every week on the roads and corruption round every corner.

Hmmm....after having experienced Thailand, all those things sound very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunSheep View Post
    Hmmm....after having experienced Thailand, all those things sound very appealing.
    Why?
    Food is better here
    The temples are better here
    The women are far more attractive here...
    If your enemy is angry, irritate him’ — Sun Tzu Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I hardly ever hang around to check if it's a real smile

I'm too busy dashing to the Grand Palace at 11am before it closes

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Why?
    Food is better here
    The temples are better here
    The women are far more attractive here...
    Japan is also WAY more expensive. However, I do prefer the food and temples in Japan - can't afford the women and Thais are generally prettier.

Thai women might be pretty but they are also pretty shallow and not interested in much outside of family, food and shopping, mobile phone addiction is annoying as well.

I caught the travel bug very early in life, mainly from thumbing through the family copy of the Life Pictorial Atlas of the World. Yeah, it had maps, but it also had wonderful photos. I especially remember one of the Göreme Valley in Turkey (Cappadocia) and another of a woman working a rice field in an unspecified country in Southeast Asia. I simply had to see these places. At university I parlayed a student loan into a three month backpack around Europe. I joined the Peace Corps after university in order to see Micronesia, took 1977 off to travel around the world (mostly overland) and eventually ended up on Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands from which forays into Asia were quite easy.

Now I'm old and I've seen what I want to see. And, frankly, after a few decades of globalization, there just aren't enough places that are really different to attract my interest. Places that I used to love (Laos, for one) are now full of tourists and ATM machines and fast food franchises.

My wanderlust has wondered off.

I don't even like Korat much anymore. And, were it up to me, I'd retreat to my condo in Cha Am, cycle in the morning, gaze at the ocean in the afternoon, drink beer in the evening and never again go anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    -|-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.