Thread: Any advice on Surin life?

Any advice on Surin life?

Im planning to move to Thailand in June with my Thai wife, thought I needed a non immigrant O visa, but it looks to me that they have now changed the financial requirements. Anybody can advise on this please? I am 64 and my wife is 36, my US Army pension $3700 a month. My wife wants to live in Surin, I was thinking Bangkok or Pattaya. Any advice on Surin life for an expat? Western Restaurants? Activities? Cost of living? Other pertinent info?

TIA

Sorry, mighht have posted in the wrong forum, I am new this.

Buy a bicycle, quit drinking, start a garden, shed the western bullshit, learn to live closer to nature, consume less.

Learn some breathing meditation, Chi-Gung exercise, sun-gazing...

Go explore the NE Thailand and the Mountain Monks...
    Last edited by Dr Earl; 05-23-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter'
    Master Yoda
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thailand Lifer
    I think he's gone, Earl...

And Mods, the forum title Korat and Issan AKA Northest Thailand needs an "a" for Northeast...

3700 a month is more than enough to meet immigration requirements & should secure a decent lifestyle anywhere in Thailand.

Have an exploratory week or two in Surin before committing - it's more than enough for most folks in one life.
    no comment
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by serrollt View Post
    3700 a month is more than enough to meet immigration requirements & should secure a decent lifestyle anywhere in Thailand.

Have an exploratory week or two in Surin before committing - it's more than enough for most folks in one life.
    i agree Serrollt. We live very well on a lot less. I think lifestyle plays into as well. If a farang is out at the bar drinking a disengage beers a night, costs go up. Smoking cigarettes, going to western bars and restaurants and buying Western groceries elevates expenses. Another budget bump is if your supporting a Thai family and / or your Thai spouse / girlfriend demands a monthly stipend.

We live a balanced blend of Thai and Western life and it is very affordable. We still splurge on in country and abroad trips, 5 start hotels and finer restaurants occasionally and manage to save a lot of money every month. My missus makes good money from her business every month. She adds to our savings considerably.

Surin is the bomb.

If you buy a house in Pattaya or BKK, play up and he wife finds out, she will keep the house, as it will be in her name. Best to rent for some time first....so many people inadvertently make mistakes in where they live. Stay mobile. I'll never forget one guy who found a great little place outside Hua Hin not far from the beach and then a neighbour started a chicken farm next door. Luckily it was rented.