Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gender-neutral bathrooms gaining popularity across Canada

Gender-neutral bathrooms gaining popularity across Canada

June 13, 2019 8:02 pm
    Updated: June 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Gender-neutral bathrooms gaining popularity across Canada

It’s something you do everyday, multiple times a day. and comes as naturally as eating and breathing. But for many, the thought of going to the bathroom brings on real fear.
    “There can be very violent interactions, police can even be called, people ejected from washrooms and others policing where they can and cannot go,” said Jacq Hixson-Vulpe, a senior consultant of special projects at The 519.

Not everyone identifies as a her or a him. Hixson-Vulpe identifies as trans non-binary, and goes by the pronoun they/them. Being welcome to use any bathroom that matches their gender identity is life affirming.
    “The absense of an all-gender washroom, or policing who gets to go into washrooms, can lead to medical complications where individuals don’t have the space to go to the bathroom throughout the day,” said Hixson-Vulpe

More and more institutions are getting on board, the Canadian National Exhibition, University of Toronto, University of Winnipeg and Ryerson University — and recently Yorkdale Mall — have introduced gender-neutral bathrooms.
    But Michael Bach, CEO of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, said Bill C16, which was passed last summer, means every public facility, including elementary schools, needs to conform and accommodate the LGBTQ2 community.

“The best practice would be don’t bother with urinals. Have stalls that have floor to ceiling walls and doors so that people can’t look in. A private space with locks, they do their business, and come out to wash their hands and it’s no big deal,” said Bach.
    Even the signage posted on all inclusive restroom doors can be discriminating.

“Those stick figures of male and female forms are a pet peeve, especially when they get cutesy with the half female-half male and the sexless wheelchair user,” he said. “Just use the symbol of a toilet. Everyone will get the message”
    While perhaps well-intentioned, the word “unisex” on an all-gender bathroom can be offensive as well.
    “We definitely encourage folks to stay away from term unisex because brings sex into the conversation when we’re focusing on gender and a spectrum of gender identities,” said Boch.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5388958/g...hrooms-canada/

Oh my, talk about political correctness!

I disagree with that.

Today's society is not about 'educating' kids to genders it's about putting them at risk of being confused more.

Trans people should have their own toilets, own sports, own whatever.

So I'm a flaming heterosexual with a family of kids I find it offensive I have to share a bathroom with folks that don't know what sex they are?

I think the comment about the term unisex as being offensive is ridiculous.. I actually don't mind unisex bathrooms and the signs on both male and female bathrooms are fine as they are.. no need to change anything imo..

What I don't agree with is the premier of Ontario (Ford) not modernizing the sex ed curriculum (sticking to the 1998 curriculum) to teach students about sexting, transgender and more modern issues of today's world that many teens are dealing with.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...in-homophobia/

Many students, teachers and parents are against the current curriculum.

Well hell no again, how many transgenders use unisex bathrooms then, and how do they prove they are really trans or not perverts?

The amount of women who go into a female toilet and think it's safe adjusting their bra, putting on makeup, changing clothes even. I've done it. But definitely won't be doing it in front of blokes dressed as women who are confused.

This opens up a can of worms do you see it? Let them have their own bathrooms.

There are two sexes: Male and female. There are 63 genders. Most of these people have mental illnesses. Even calling them 'these people' is offensive and discriminatory but it is 100% spot on.

I'm not by any means 'old generation' and have a few good homosexual friends so nothing against gay folks.

The whole thing is disgusting beyond words...
    School Fees!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^So disgusting you can't even say why it is disgusting? You seem like you live in the dark ages.
    It isn't disgusting, it is the reality that we the world live in today.

Quote Originally Posted by vendetta4real View Post
    ^So disgusting you can't even say why it is disgusting? You seem like you live in the dark ages.
    It isn't disgusting, it is the reality that we the world live in today.
    Talking about some big hairy tranny walking in the women's bathroom leering at little girls is definitely disgusting.

If this is your Brave New World, it is a cesspool of moral decay.
    School Fees!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao mo View Post
    So I'm a flaming heterosexual with a family of kids I find it offensive I have to share a bathroom with folks that don't know what sex they are?
    Hey! Don't worry.
    Soon Canada wiĺl be just like San Francisco where shitting in the street is the norm.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter'
    Master Yoda