Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobe Maggie Demands Respect

Quote Originally Posted by lamphun View Post
    ^Only in the sense of the stupidity of the utterance.
    Exactly.

...Oops! She Did It Again! Christian Hater on the Rampage!

Tennis champion Margaret Court hits out at transgender athletes

December 30, 2019, 1:00 PM GMT+7

Former Australian tennis champion Margaret Court is now a church pastor known for her controversial views (AFP Photo/FIONA HAMILTON)Melbourne

Australian tennis great Margaret Court has again condemned transgender athletes, while claiming the devil controlled the media and government, in fiery comments just weeks before she is honoured at the Australian Open.

The 24-time Grand Slam singles winner, now a church pastor, drew fire in 2017 for saying she would avoid Qantas over the airline's support for same-sex marriage, which is now law in Australia following a referendum.

She later claimed, in comments that were widely derided, that tennis was "full of lesbians" and that transgender children were the result of a Nazi-style "plot" to brainwash the minds of young people.
    The 77-year-old doubled down on her controversial views regarding sexuality during a sermon at her Perth church at the weekend, which came to light on Monday.
    "Children are making the decision at seven or eight years of age to change their sex … no, just read the first two chapters of Genesis, that's all I say. Male and female," Court said in a video of the sermon.
    "It's so wrong at that age because a lot of things are planted in this thought realm at that age, and they start to question 'what am I'.

"And you know with that LGBT, they'll wish they never put the T on the end of it because, particularly in women's sports, they're going to have so many problems.
    "You have got young people taking hormones and having changes, by the time they are 17 they are thinking, 'Now I'm a boy and really I was a girl'. Because you know what, God made us that way."
    Court also highlighted the difficulty of talking about her religious beliefs, claiming "the devil" had control over the media and government.

"The devil gets in and the media and the political, the education, TV -- he wants to control a nation so he can affect people's minds and mouths," she said.
    After her previous comments on homosexuality and gay marriage, high-profile players like Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova called for the Margaret Court Arena at Melbourne Park -- home of the Australian Open -- to be stripped of her name.

That has not happened and the 50th anniversary of Court's calendar-year Grand Slam will next month be commemorated at the tournament, where she will be a guest of honour.
    While Tennis Australia last month agreed to mark her achievement of winning all four majors in the same year, it also distanced itself from the player's views.

"As often stated, Tennis Australia does not agree with Margaret's personal views, which have demeaned and hurt many in our community over a number of years.
    "They do not align with our values of equality, diversity and inclusion."

Court used to attend the Australian Open regularly but hasn't shown up since 2017, when the controversy over her views first flared.

Last edited by harrymsmarkle; 12-30-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    Majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd

Clearly not a homophobe, yet those (d)evil far left progressives want to crucify her for her different point of view.
    “Don’t get sick of me just yet, for I will be here for quite a while”

Quote Originally Posted by serrollt View Post
    Clearly not a homophobe, yet those (d)evil far left progressives want to crucify her for her different point of view.
    *cough*...

"She later claimed, in comments that were widely derided, that tennis was "full of lesbians" and that transgender children were the result of a Nazi-style "plot" to brainwash the minds of young people."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tinkles View Post
    Well well, it hasn't taken too long for harrymsmarkle to show his true colors as a bigot. After all his self righteous holier than thou sermons he's just a plain old dog turd after all

"Ageing straight white folks"

Hmmm okay, anything else you want to take a stab in the dark at?

If you want to tell us you're homosexual then I have no problem with you coming out on this forum, I won't hold it against you but please respect my opinion that homosexuality is a mental disorder and they should not be afforded the same rights as normal members of the community
    It is pointless to argue with Harry alias TD's Tom Cat. He posts his anti Christian bigotry with tedious regularity. It is born of course from a victim mentality that has produced the large chip on his shoulder in the form of a cross.
    For all his tedious bullshit and biol he seems to have survived being brought up in a Christian country quite well whilst living of the fruits and inventions of those Christians. In other words an uninformed opinionated hypocrite that is unlikely to change the opinion of 2 billion Christians.
    He can still afford to sip his chardonnay at restaurants while looking at the Thai peasants passing by.
    He has turned himself into a parody on Td and now here, but I see he has been tracked down though.

...^...Preacher Cow excoriates the Devil......but, on a more serious note: ...

^^
    Do you seriously believe 2 billion Christians agree with the female pastor crackpot?
    “Don’t get sick of me just yet, for I will be here for quite a while”

Quote Originally Posted by serrollt View Post
    ^^
    Do you seriously believe 2 billion Christians agree with the female pastor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrymsmarkle View Post
    It is pointless to argue with Hugh aka TD's Cow. He posts his religious bigotry with tedious regularity. It is born of course from a victim mentality that has produced the large cross he bears on his way to Calvary.
    ......ftfH...

Margaret Court’s LGBTQ, same-sex marriage views leave Australian Open honoring her Grand Slam but not her
    By Cindy Boren (WaPo)

Fifty years after Margaret Court accomplished one of the greatest feats in women’s tennis, Australian Open officials faced the delicate question of just how to honor a woman whose beliefs run counter to the inclusiveness promoted by Australia’s national tennis organization.

Court, a calendar-year Grand Slam champion who won the French and U.S. Opens five times each, Wimbledon three times and the Australian Open 11 times, has by her own admission never been particularly beloved in her home country, referring to herself as “an anonymous champion” despite having more Grand Slam women’s singles titles than any other player. “I don’t think the younger people today really know what I have done,” she told Steve Flink in 2012. “Personally it doesn’t affect me. It is probably a bit sad for the history of the game.”

Australians are more aware now, reminded of her accomplishments on the court by the attention generated by her beliefs off it. Court, 77, has drawn criticism for controversial views on same-sex marriage and transgender issues, with Martina Navratilova recently calling her comments on transgender women and children “pathetic” and saying she was “hiding behind her Bible.” Honoring her achievements presented a thorny problem for officials at the Australian Open, which began Monday in Melbourne, and it was a topic that was kryptonite to some players.

“It’s a tricky one,” Roger Federer told reporters. “I don’t know what to tell you. She’s obviously an incredible tennis champion, one of the most successful ever. I know this subject also tears apart a lot of opinions and minds. So I think Tennis Australia, they got to do what they got to do. I honestly really have no opinion on that.”

Others were willing to talk about the matter. “I think it’s unfortunate that this whole thing has even occurred,” Johanna Konta said, “because it does overshadow why her name is on the court. It’s not because of her beliefs; it’s because of her achievements in the sport. It’s unfortunate it’s kind of meshed together when they’re actually quite separate.”

Nick Kyrgios noted, “I guess you’ve got to take it just as how she was as a tennis player. That’s why the court was originally named after her, because of her tennis, what she was really good at. I guess that’s what I will do. I’ll try to block out the other stuff. Obviously I am okay with same-sex marriage.”

Tennis Australia never planned to ignore Court’s accomplishments, but it was vague about its plans to honor her. “We’ve said that we’re going to recognize Margaret. She’s one of the icons of sport in Australia, and she’s going to be recognized as such,” Craig Tiley, the CEO of Tennis Australia and the tournament director, said recently. “We’ve spoken to her about what the activities are that we’re going to do, but some of them are a surprise as well.”

A documentary is planned, but Court will not present the trophy to the women’s champion, as she has at times in the past. Although the country’s National Tennis Centre houses Margaret Court Arena, Tennis Australia made the awkward decision that someone else, as yet unidentified, will present the trophy, following the precedent set last year, during the 50th anniversary of Rod Laver’s calendar-year Grand Slam, when Ivan Lendl presented the trophy to Novak Djokovic.

Margaret Court and her husband, Barry, watch the first-round match between Roger Federer of Switzerland and American Steve Johnson on Monday at the Australian Open. (Dave Hunt/EPA-EFE)
    Court, who won a women’s singles record 24 majors from 1960 to 1973, became only the second woman to win all four majors in a calendar year in 1970. Serena Williams’s bid to accomplish the same feat ended with her loss in a 2016 U.S. Open semifinal, and she needs one more major to tie Court’s haul of 24.

In her most recent controversial comments, Court, a Pentecostal minister at Perth’s Victory Life Centre, called trans women “problematic,” especially in sports competition, and said being gay is “a choice” in a recent sermon.

“Because we are living in a season … even that LGBT and the schools — it’s of the devil, it’s not of God … ” she said (via the Sydney Morning Herald). “And when children are making the decision at 7 or 8 years of age to change their sex … no, just read the first two chapters of Genesis; that’s all I say. Male and female.

“It’s so wrong at that age because a lot of things are planted in this thought realm at that age. And they start to question, ‘What am I?’ And if you are a Christian … you believe the word of God. This is our TV Guide to life … And you know with that LGBT, they’ll wish they never put the T on the end of it because, particularly in women’s sports, they’re going to have so many problems. And you have got young people taking hormones and having changes, by the time they are 17 they are thinking, ‘Now I’m a boy and really I was a girl.’ Because, you know what? God’s made us that way.”

Navratilova called Court’s comments “pathetic in every way” on Twitter. “It’s outrageous and so wrong. We don’t need to change or rewrite history when it comes to anyone’s accomplishments, but we do not need to celebrate them,” Navratilova added. “Margaret Court is hiding behind her Bible as many have done before her and will do after her. Let’s not keep elevating it”

Tennis Australia responded by referring to its open letter from November in which it drew what it said was “an important distinction” between “recognizing champions and celebrating heroes.” It added: “Naturally, we will be recognizing Margaret and her incredible tennis record, and contrary to many reports, there is no plan to ‘rewrite history.’ However, the philosophy and culture of our sport goes deeper than winning and setting records. We seek to foster a sport that is inclusive and welcoming of everyone. We all bear some responsibility for creating a safe and inclusive society. As a sport, tennis is unwavering in playing our part.”

In video of her sermon, which was posted on Facebook, Court spoke of how difficult it is to talk about her views. “The devil gets in and the media and the political, the education, TV — he wants to control a nation so he can affect people’s minds and mouths. … I can go on television and if I say, ‘Well, this is what the Bible says,’ well, it’s like opening a can of worms.”

In 2017, Navratilova, who came out in 1981 and married Julia Lemigova in 2014, called Court a “racist and a homophobe” in an open letter to Margaret Court Arena, after Court announced a boycott of Qantas over its chief executive’s support for same-sex marriage. Navratilova urged that the name of the arena be changed, suggesting the arena be named for Evonne Goolagong Cawley, winner of seven Grand Slam events.

“It is now clear exactly who Court is: an amazing tennis player, and a racist and a homophobe. Her vitriol is not just an opinion,” she wrote. “She is actively trying to keep LGBT people from getting equal rights (note to Court: we are human beings, too). She is demonizing trans kids and trans adults everywhere.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-slam-not-her/
    Last edited by harrymsmarkle; 01-21-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Thailand Lifer
    ^ They should try smiling, those two...

'Kin hell...