Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domestic Travel – Visa Required

Domestic Travel – Visa Required

For years I have used my Thai driving license as ID when flying on domestic flights here in Thailand.

That has changed.

Couple weeks ago when checking-in for a flight returning to Bangkok I was requested to show my Visa, which I didn’t have with me. The person behind the counter told me they would have to check with their superior if my Thai driving license would be accepted. When they returned I was told they would allow me to fly but this would be the last time I would be allowed to use the Thai driving license as ID.

It’s bad enough trying to protect valuables (computers/cash) when in unfamiliar hotels/resorts but now I have to be concerned with my Visa as well.

Pain in the butt.
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

As the inconvenience falls only on foreigners, I doubt the local bureaucracy gives a fig. Of course, many who "work" in that organization already know that Thai DLs are, in many instances, fake or not even remotely suggestive of driver education.

^Hadn’t been a problem in the 10 years I’ve been using my Thai driving license as ID in the past,……..until recently.

Just letting others know.

Is this a new policy or just some minion having a brain fart?
    I visited TC a few times as a guest but had to stop. It is a sickening place. - Aging One

Quote Originally Posted by lamphun View Post

Chances are that this "official" requirement will be somewhat ignored or will pass in short time, as many insignificant policies of this manner are presented.

Same as it ever was, but different.
    no comment
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by serrollt View Post
    Same as it ever was, but different.

That too.
    Not surprising for those with little and real experience and exposure to the rhetorical cycling systems that is Thai [e.g. Landreth].

Only a concern if looked upon literally or use the proverbial Western comparatives.

Quote Originally Posted by lamphun View Post
    At the time I was thinking the same thing, but thought it might be best to be polite and not say anything.

It was a fvckin’ return ticket. She had to know I had to go to the counter to check my bags, pass through security and board the plane using my driving license when at Suvarnabhumi.

Did the rules change (requiring a foreigner traveling on a domestic flights to show a Visa as an ID) within a week? With no notice?

Anyway,…still a warning to others. Hope it doesn’t become commonplace.

Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    At the time I was thinking the same thing, but thought it might be best to be polite and not say anything.

It was a fvckin’ return ticket. She had to know I had to go to the counter to check my bags, pass through security and board the plane using my driving license when at Suvarnabhumi.

Did the rules change (requiring a foreigner traveling on a domestic flights to show a Visa as an ID) within a week? With no notice?

Anyway,…still a warning to others. Hope it doesn’t become commonplace.

You have been officially registering and making notification of every move for accommodation/residency, have you not?
    Running afoul of the law is not taken lightly.
    Expecting for you to be picked up - sooner or later.

Goddamn Foreigners.
    Time to close the borders to the likes.

Criminal farangs disregarding Thai law, everywhere!

no comment
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.