Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: On The Money

Quote Originally Posted by S Landreth View Post
    A note. I’ll try to find the judge’s order later to see how Manafort’s sentencing was broken down.
    Finally found it.

Just going to post a snippet today and Sunday after celebrating Manafort’s (Trump’s campaign manager) 7.5 years behind bars I’ll post the entire sentencing related to FBAR and Not reporting them.

so I'm going to impose a sentence of 30 months on that
    That’s 30 months in jail and there was also a penalty (punitive fine)
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Just a bit more information before the Sunday night post (first sentencing of two and should expect more in the coming years)

• In reality Judge Ellis gave Manafort (trump’s campaign manager) 197 months (about 16.42 years) prison time. But because Judge Ellis let Manafort serve his time concurrently, he’ll be spending only 47 months in prison.

• Why you should file a FBAR report every year even if you don’t live the life of someone as Manafort (Trump’s campaign manager). Random audits

Below are some quotes during Manafort’s sentencing hearing in Judge T.S. Ellis’s court (The Court) related to failing to file FBAR reports.

THE COURT: You stand convicted of one count of failing to file a report of a foreign bank account that has a ten-year maximum, I believe - - five-year maximum (skip……)

The essence of the tax fraud or failure to report counts and FBAR counts is hiding money from the government so that you don't have to pay taxes on it. And in this case, the amount of money hidden resulted in a tax loss to the government of 6 plus -- 6 and -- I've forgotten what the exact figure was, 6.3 -- or something of that sort – million dollars. And as I said earlier, in essence, that's a theft of money, a theft of money from everyone who pays their taxes.

If you don't pay your fair share, you're taking away from the common pool of money that the government uses. So those counts were appropriately grouped for tax -- or for guidelines calculations.

THE COURT: There's been a steady history of the imposition of sentences under FBAR and tax violations, and I want to review that because it furnished the context in which I made my ultimate decision. And let me be clear about that. The guidelines, to most people, would suggest that a sentence is somehow an arithmetic calculation, it is not. It is a judgment, and that's an important factor to keep in mind. The guidelines are judgments.

Well, there are a number of cases of offshore hiding of money, and some of them are summarized by the defendant in its brief. Some of them I remember because I presided over them. Horsky was the most prominent one. That was a defendant who hid more than $200 million in offshore accounts, and there was about an $18 million loss to the government in tax revenues. Now, that's roughly three times the amount the loss in this case.

But, Mr. Horsky received from me a sentence of seven months followed by a period of supervised release. Whether that was the right sentence or not is subject to reasonable people differ, as is true with any sentence that I impose. I don't expect the sentence I'm about to announce to meet with everyone's approval. I don't sit to do it that way. I sit to impose a just sentence, and I have to satisfy myself about it.

Now, there's another case, United States against Kim. That was my case, but ultimately, Judge Brinkema did the sentencing because I recused myself.

So, deterrence. Mr. Andres argues that he needs to be deterred. I'm not so sure I agree with that, but in any event, I think what I intend to do will deter him. It's far more important, in my view, that this case serve as a beacon to warn others not to engage in hiding income overseas to avoid paying taxes here, because there are serious consequences.

Now, to pronounce sentence. It is the judgment of this Court, Mr. Manafort, that you be sentenced, that you be committed to the custody of Bureau of Prisons for the following terms:
    With respect to Counts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, those counts are counts of subscribing to false United States individual income tax returns for -- those are counts which involve a maximum term of three years. For those counts, I impose a sentence, that is, I commit you to the custody of Bureau of Prisons for a period of 24 months for Count 1, 24 months for Count 2, 24 months for Count 3, 24 months for Count 4, and 24 months for Count 5, all of which is to be served concurrently.
    Now, with respect to Count 11 or 12 -- which one is it? I've forgotten the number.
    MR. ANDRES: 12, Your Honor.
    THE COURT: 12. That's the failure to file reports of foreign income -- foreign bank and financial accounts. The maximum penalty for that is, Mr. Asonye
    Mr. Andres, I think it's ten years?
    MR. ANDRES: Five years, Your Honor.
    THE COURT: Five years. All right. For that, it is the judgment of this Court -- it's really the same offense as the others, so I'm going to impose a sentence of 30 months on that, to run concurrently to the 24-month sentences imposed on Counts 1 through 5.
    Then we come to Counts 27 and 28, the bank fraud.
    THE COURT: All right. And I take into account a number of factors there, but it is the judgment of this Court that you be committed to the custody of the Bureau of Prisons for a period of 47 months. That term is to be served concurrently with the other terms. So you have a total sentence of 47 months.

THE COURT: So he'll get one year of supervised release for each of the first five counts, and that term is to run concurrently. He will get a period of supervised release to follow any period of incarceration of three years with respect to the FBAR count. That provides for at least three years. And three years for the two bank fraud counts. All of those terms are to run concurrently.

Now, as a special condition of his supervised release, he is to comply with the terms of this restitution order. Now, the restitution order isn't in a final form. I'm going to waive interest, and the amount of $25,000,815 is due and payable immediately.

THE COURT: I would impose a significant fine in this case if it were not for the fact that there is a $24 million restitution. Now, as Mr. Andres pointed out, it may not come to 24 million. It may be -- or Mr. Asonye, I don't remember which, but one of you pointed out, correctly, I think, that ultimately his restitution may not be 24 million. It may be less. It's never going to be less than 6 million, but it may be less.
    Is that right, Mr. Asonye?
    MR. ASONYE: That's correct, Your Honor.
    THE COURT: But 6 million is still a pretty significant amount of restitution, and I often do not impose a punitive fine where there is restitution in that amount. But you also point out that he has two very substantial assets, two homes.
    What I'm going to do in this case -- what is the guideline range on fines?
    THE PROBATION: Your Honor, the low end is $50,000.
    THE COURT: What's the upper range?
    THE PROBATION: 25 million.
    THE COURT: $50,000 fine. If I had more information, it might be more, but it's punitive, and I think what I've done is sufficiently punitive.

• There you have it,……….. 2 ½ years in jail (30 months) with a low end punitive fine of 50,000.00 for Manafort (trump’s campaign manager) not filing a FBAR report.

Low end fine because as the judge pointed out,…… “I would impose a significant fine in this case if it were not for the fact that there is a $24 million restitution.”

In reality Judge Ellis gave Manafort (trump’s campaign manager) 197 months (about 16.42 years) prison time. But because Judge Ellis let Manafort serve his time concurrently with the other counts against him, he’ll be spending only 47 months in prison (Counts 27 and 28, bank fraud, 47 months).

• Little extra related to Manafort (trump’s campaign manager)

The second trial…….

Paul Manafort has now been sentenced to a combined 7.5 years in prison - Manafort’s second sentencing was Wednesday morning.

Judge Amy Berman Jackson sentenced Paul Manafort to about six years in prison on Wednesday. This was Manafort’s second sentencing for charges brought by Mueller. Last Friday was his first: Judge T.S. Ellis III of the Eastern District of Virginia sentenced Manafort to 47 months in prison for his conviction on tax and bank fraud charges, which was far lighter than many observers expected.

Some of Jackson’s sentence will be served concurrently with Ellis’s sentence. So in practice, Manafort’s two sentences end up totaling to 90 months — or, seven and a half years. (He has already served about 9 months of that, since he’s been jailed since last June.)

• No pardon. The worst hearings are yet to come……..

The Manhattan DA Just Sent a Huge Message to Trump in the Immediate Aftermath of Manafort’s Sentencing

Make no mistake, the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office was watching and waiting for Paul Manafort’s second sentencing on Wednesday and followed it up with a “good luck trying to pardon him” message to President Donald Trump.

In the immediate aftermath of Manafort’s sentencing in Washington, D.C., where Judge Amy Berman Jackson tacked on 73 months (30 of which will be added to the 47 months from the Eastern District of Virginia sentencing), the Manhattan DA has indicted Manafort on state charges.

To put this simply, Manafort’s sentencing on federal charges add up to seven and a half years of prison time, meaning he would get out of prison when he’s 77 years old — if he serves that time. We say if because President Trump could pardon him.

What Vance did just now, however, renders the pardon potentially irrelevant.

If convicted, Manafort could face years in prison. The most serious of the charges, residential mortgage fraud, carries a sentence of a minimum of one to three years in prison and a maximum of 8 1/3 to 25 years.

• Manfort’s future: Manafort (trump’s campaign manager) will be spending the rest of his short life either in jail or fighting to stay out of it.

Fvck this tax thief (as per Judge Ellis – “And as I said earlier, in essence, that's a theft of money, a theft of money from everyone who pays their taxes.”: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...arning-to-trum - https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/13/p...ork/index.html - https://www.scribd.com/document/4018...ent#from_embed - https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/11/p...ipt/index.html - http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2019/images/0...transcript.pdf - https://www.vox.com/2019/3/13/182640...berman-jackson

^
    You are, as usual, delusional.

This Foobar (FBAR) thing hasn't got nothin' to do with taxes.

It only requires that one submit the form if one has a penny over 10K USD worth of currency in a foreign bank in a calendar year.

BTW, how's your carbon credit account doing pal? 555

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    This Foobar (FBAR) thing hasn't got nothin' to do with taxes.
    Wrong.

FBAR has nothing to do with taxes but information related to FBAR is located at an IRS site: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sb.pdf

I’ve been over this before you pot-licking dummy. Do try to keep up.

Those FBAR reports and you complying with the law when filing your taxes should not be taken lightly.

Let’s looks at a 1040 Tax Form (what a lot people file in the states). Look at what I have circled below in red.

Now let’s look at a Schedule B Form

as I have posted before on this thread…….

Anyone reading this thread/forum should take what the pot-licker says with a grain of salt.
    And the question remains………

Curious? Does your Thai spouse give you an allowance?
    That taxable interest is automatically deducted from one's account in any case.

Again, the FUBAR thing ain't got nothin' to do with taxes - it's just a form that gets filed along with the annual 1040.

Note to wet-brain Landreth: The IRS could give a shit if you have 10K worth of US currency overseas or 100K worth.

Nothing to do with taxes...

Bit late but I wanted to respond to the misinformation in the pot-licker’s post below.

Again, the FUBAR thing ain't got nothin' to do with taxes - it's just a form that gets filed along with the annual 1040.

Note to wet-brain Landreth: The IRS could give a shit if you have 10K worth of US currency overseas or 100K worth.

Nothing to do with taxes...
    I received my 2018 tax info a few weeks ago. Part of my 2018 FBAR………

And how it relates to my taxes. The interest I received from one of the overseas accounts has to be reported (as INCOME) for TAX purposes as anyone can see below (Part III – Summary of Tax Items Attributable to Specified Foreign Financial Assets – 1 Foreign Deposits – 1a Interest)…….

IRS info: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8938.pdf - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8938.pdf - https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about...le-b-form-1040

as the judge said in her ruling related to the Manafort FBAR sentencing when she sentenced him to 30 months in jail for not filing a FBAR report

some quotes during Manafort’s sentencing hearing in Judge T.S. Ellis’s court (The Court) related to failing to file FBAR reports.

So, deterrence. Mr. Andres argues that he needs to be deterred. I'm not so sure I agree with that, but in any event, I think what I intend to do will deter him. It's far more important, in my view, that this case serve as a beacon to warn others not to engage in hiding income overseas to avoid paying taxes here, because there are serious consequences.
    An American tax payer might get an IRS agent/auditor who might want to make an example of you for not filing a FBAR report (random audit).

And as I have stated before. Not reporting your overseas account could be devastating to an American tax payer

a bit dated.......
    Now let’s think about the penalties involved for not filing the Schedule B Form. As I remember and have read it can be as high as 100,000.00 (US) dollars or half of what was in the account when you didn’t file. The fine could be 100,000.00 if you only had 10,001.00 in the account when you didn’t file that Schedule B. There’s no telling what type of penalty the IRS is going to charge you with. And remember these penalties apply for each year not reported (for the past 6 years maybe 5 years?). So if the IRS discovers you didn’t file for one year they might go back to see if you haven’t filed for previous years. The penalties could be devastating for an ordinary American and could completely wipe someone out.

The judge is going to allow with time served so this 'criminal' (sarc) will be out soon.
    Paul Manafort Celebrates 70th Birthday With Loved Ones

APRIL FOOLS HE'S IN PRISON

https://www.wonkette.com/paul-manafo...-hes-in-prison

I’ve said it before, take what the pot-licker/Boom Mee states/posts with a grain of salt. It’s just not too bright.