Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Quality and Health issues

Air Quality and Health issues

Maybe it's just me and the fact that I travel quite a bit but I am noticing an increasing number of people both Thai and Farang, with respiritory conditions.
    Maybe it's the constant recycling of dust and dirt in the countryside when the rains wash down fresh earth and it drys and gets kicked up by movement and carried on strong winds.
    Maybe it's the practice of burning waste where there are limited waste collections. Perhaps it is the dramatic increase in traffic and the fact that diesel is so cheap and encouraged as a power source, with it's high particulate emissions.
    Maybe I just need to change my pipe tobacco?

Worst place I find to be is at Bangkok traffic lights just as the motorbike armada sets off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlobby View Post
    Worst place I find to be is at Bangkok traffic lights just as the motorbike armada sets off.
    especially when you are the first car in the queue and they arrive and take post directly in front of you to make a quick getaway.

Reporting of pollution, like so many other things here does seem to lag behind the west. I know the UK and Australia have monitoring and reporting teams who are responsible not just for air pollution, but for water quality at popular beaches and resorts.

The only reports I have seen here are from some dubious government source saying Bangkok air pollution was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    especially when you are the first car in the queue and they arrive and take post directly in front of you to make a quick getaway.
    Indeed, but I was commenting from the pedestrian perspective when the bike exhaust pipes simultaneously emit their smog, and the breeze blows it towards you

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlobby View Post
    Indeed, but I was commenting from the pedestrian perspective when the bike exhaust pipes simultaneously emit their smog, and the breeze blows it towards you
    My apologies Blobby, I had you down as a motoring capitalist

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    My apologies Blobby, I had you down as a motoring capitalist
    And now?

Clearly a walking communist

Don't tell the thai army, they'll want to boil me alive

When serving for her Majesty I favored a pipe plus Borkum Riff Whiskey Blend.
    I moved on.
    Fags akimbo and then finally settled in the far NE of LOS a few years ago where smokes cost $2 a carton from over the river.

Rude not to smoke them.

In an effort to reduce my daily intake I reverted to my old cherry briar, bless it.

It doesn't work.

I'm now smoking the same number of cigarettes but including a few pipes on top.

The irony is that I thoroughly enjoy my tobacco habit and, as I'm not a marathon runner, I don't feel too bad.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Henry
    It's the consistent reusing of residue and soil in the wide open when the downpours wash down crisp earth and it drys and gets kicked up by development and carried on solid breezes, possibly it's the act of consuming waste where there are restricted waste accumulations...