• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you glad you left?

Back home in Blighty or whereever:

home.jpg

Originally posted by Ergenburgensmurgen;n186588
    What are you talking about, I don't post on Teakdoor.

https://thailandchatter.com/core/ima...ies/giggle.gif

It's been a non stop roller coaster.

Got here a few months before the first (and only) election in Thailand's history that returned an elected government. The first absolute majority too. Economic growth was running at a robust 6% or so, and things were really looking up right? Hah, falang not know Thailand.

Then came the yellow shirt protests, the 'peaceful protesters' stormed and occupied the international airport among other things, and were rewarded with a ready made coup d'etat. So now Thailand was a military Junta again. It just got better, and better.

The ex-PM, who's name shall not be mentioned, was holed up in Dubai or somewhere, having been found guilty of winning too many elections in Thailand. Problem sorted, right. Snigga. After 18 months or so (or was it two years, who knows), another election was held and a clear winner announced. Same party, although now strangely it had a different name.

The new PM though, was found to be guilty of running a televised cooking show, under a law designed to prosecute politicians who attempted to conceal assets. Or so they said, but I've always thought that anyone who runs a show called 'cooking and grumbling' deserves the boot. The creative Thai 'judiciary' agreed. He had to go.

The next PM should go down in history as the shortest ever (but, TIT)- he was gone before he came it seemed, for the offense of, well, something. Marrying into the wrong family perhaps (career suicide in this country).

So the nice Generals, sensing some disharmony in the air in the Land of Smiles, invited everyone in for a nice cuppa tea in the Big Barracks. Except for those that weren't invited. History was made at that tea party, for now it was announced to a grateful nation, Thailand had a democratically elected Prime Minister again- with the unique qualification of having never won an election. A nice pretty boy he was too. And verily I say unto ye, everyone was samiling in nodddyland.

Then some funny people with sun tans bought many red T shirts at special prices, and had a big scout jamboree outside a nice, shiny shopping centre located at the centre of the universe, where they did not actually sell red T shirts. Ooooh, go home to your self sufficient rice farms in Isaan the nice people said (even if you did they actually come from a rice farm in Isaan)- we do not sell red T shirts here you know. But we already have our T shirts, the red people said, and continued their merry jamboree self sufficiently.

The Generals, sensing some karmic disharmony, assigned several of the happy campers to nirvana if they volunteered to go there, by runnng into bullets kindly provided by the nice soldiers. The campers were so joyous and grateful they held a nice big barbeque, and went home contented.

And lo it came to pass that elections were held again, and the same party won again (and yes, you guessed it- with a different name), and again it was elected by an Absolute majority- for the Red Sea had not parted. Oh Joy of Joys- history had repeated itself in the Land of Samiles. Thailands Prime Minister was now a pretty girl, who even managed to charm the Master of the Universe when he came calling to pay his respects. But she was cute in possession of a prohibited name, that shall remain unmentioned.

And so the peaceful people in Yellow descended from the Heavens again (yes of course, this time with a different name), peacefully invaded government house again, blockaded the streets of Bangkok again, and said many nice things. Why, we are just here to return harmony to the 'true owners of this country' the Prophet said, and humbly requested the assistance of the nice men in green. And requested. And requested, ever so humbly. Knock and the door shall indeed be opened, for the annointed in Yellow.

So it came to pass that another holy tea ceremony was held at the Big Barracks, and the same history was made yet again. But this time, the honored guests were given pajamas, and invited to stay for a nice long meditation session. And when they came out from their Happy time, lo and behold Thailand was one big Happy military Junta again. Many people were invited into the Big Barracks for a Happy time, and joyous Happy celebrations featuring nice green dancing girls were held throughout the nation, in celebration. Even the TV now featured how to be Happy programs, and a jolly green dwarf provided much Happy entertainment and a brand new Happy song. For verily it came to pass, harmony had returned to the Land of Samiles.

To be continued...
    Last edited by sabang; 01-28-2015, 04:02 AM.

Comment

All of this is just white noise way above our heads, I was fortunate to be born In a nice peaceful, Hobbit like country so maybe its my destiny to spend my sunset years in this fractured, politically torn and dysfunction place, my relatives, back home will never understand it, but like a badly cut pair of jeans, they don't look too fashionable but oddly they are comfortable and one learns to adapt and live with it. Regimes change but my friends are still the same, always ready to share a beer and a chat and that OK with me.

Comment

IMHO y'all over there in Issan get to wound up over politics.
        God, the panic within the Dems, MSM, and left must be horrifying...realizing that Joe is really the best they've got.

Comment

BM weren't you very active in the American political thread on TD.

I do hope you have been showing your respect to Khun Barnharn
          Last edited by Jackthelad; 01-28-2015, 09:19 AM.
          Who are you to judge the life I live?
          I know I'm not perfect
          -and I don't live to be-
          but before you start pointing fingers...
          make sure you hands are clean!�
          Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by Boon Mee View Post
            IMHO y'all over there in Issan get to wound up over politics.
            Not nearly as much as most other regions. Pontificating hiso idiots in Bangkok can say what they want. Matters not a smudge here.

Life rolls on like the steady flow of Nam Mae Khong. Easily 100 years behind the developed world.

Who is "winning?"

Comment

^^^ Good stuff Sabang.

On second thought, this question deserves a better answer... it's not so much about what you left, it's about what you found here.

I thought in 2006 when I retired here life might be easier, more simple. I thought I could melt away into my own bubble and be immune from all the idiots. I was financially secure then (at 42) and I still am (at 50) Haven't worked a single minute since. I still save money every single month. It's not about money and it's not about where I live. Since I was 18, I've always had at least a year's salary in the bank. Good schools and sound investment advice taught me the value of saving early. I'm not a wank Euro expectant on the state to bail me out, I'm not a Brittle drifting off to never-land with little more than pixie dust and promises -- expecting to go out for drinks and hoping someone else picks up my tab. I would never, ever think of doing that. Getting my skull smashed in just doesn't appeal to me. I've been all over the world and lived in the heart of the most expensive city on the planet (at the time.) Not impressed in the least.

I feel sorry for the Aussies who have to wait for the supers to get old, and the Brittles who can't move here until they're fossilized and their heating fuel oil benefit kicks in. I feel for the weeklong Krauts who come and go like a case of sniffles and then trundle back to Hanover or Berlin to their hateful jobs and miserable existences. Listening to them as they gorge themselves on inexpensive crappy Isaan river prawns makes me quasi depressed. All the poor, sad fcuks living large in Thailand for their two weeks -- then reluctantly back to the ball-buster gauntlet. I've met Frenchies and Italians and assorted Euro slime -- same deal.

I have Aussie friends who never miss a chance to call themselves "lucky." Even the 61-year-old amputee from Collingwood. "Just a few more years," he always tells me... I shake my head and nod in agreement with a wry smile. Just a few more years, mate.

In my experience (I'll say it again) In my experience, the vast majority of Americans I meet regularly in Thailand don't fit this desperate mold. That said, the vast majority of people I meet are not Americans. Are we as Americans simply smarter? Are we able to make a plan and stick to it? Are we less willing to strike out on a lark knowing there's no fcuking backup and when you go out buying drinks with no money in your wallet you might get punched in the face?

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that America might very well be at the pinnacle of global hegemony for a very good reason. The rest of you pontificating twats are just plain dreamers.

Who's the lucky boy? For me life here ain't so bad. I've some gripes with IOs and ignorant community policy, but all in all, can't complain.

Am I glad I left? Yes. It's given me a better advantage to view the world's western dross. Ironically, it's also provided a better appreciation for the country I left (temporarily). Once America gets over it's domestic negro guilt and liberal idiocy, I might go back. Until then, I will plow every cent into a foreign economy. There are equally powerful ways we can disagree (collectively) without voting.
              Last edited by Texpat; 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Jeez Tex you should help out Scott and his American followers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq5r26Bbx-c
                I know I'm not perfect
                -and I don't live to be-
                Bob Marley

Comment

A meathead addressing a fool -- but guess what, even the fool is prepared to go back.

If I had a nickle for every Euro/Brittle Commonwealth imbecile crying desperation, I'd be rich.

Your example simply reinforces my idea. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Texpat View Post
                    ^^^ Good stuff Sabang.

On second thought, this question deserves a better answer... it's not so much about what you left, it's about what you found here.

I thought in 2006 when I retired here life might be easier, more simple. I thought I could melt away into my own bubble and be immune from all the idiots. I was financially secure then (at 42) and I still am (at 50) Haven't worked a single minute since. I still save money every single month. It's not about money and it's not about where I live. Since I was 18, I've always had at least a year's salary in the bank. Good schools and sound investment advice taught me the value of saving early. I'm not a wank Euro expectant on the state to bail me out, I'm not a Brittle drifting off to never-land with little more than pixie dust and promises -- expecting to go out for drinks and hoping someone else picks up my tab. I would never, ever think of doing that. Getting my skull smashed in just doesn't appeal to me. I've been all over the world and lived in the heart of the most expensive city on the planet (at the time.) Not impressed in the least.

I feel sorry for the Aussies who have to wait for the supers to get old, and the Brittles who can't move here until they're fossilized and their heating fuel oil benefit kicks in. I feel for the weeklong Krauts who come and go like a case of sniffles and then trundle back to Hanover or Berlin to their hateful jobs and miserable existences. Listening to them as they gorge themselves on inexpensive crappy Isaan river prawns makes me quasi depressed. All the poor, sad fcuks living large in Thailand for their two weeks -- then reluctantly back to the ball-buster gauntlet. I've met Frenchies and Italians and assorted Euro slime -- same deal.

I have Aussie friends who never miss a chance to call themselves "lucky." Even the 61-year-old amputee from Collingwood. "Just a few more years," he always tells me... I shake my head and nod in agreement with a wry smile. Just a few more years, mate.

In my experience (I'll say it again) In my experience, the vast majority of Americans I meet regularly in Thailand don't fit this desperate mold. That said, the vast majority of people I meet are not Americans. Are we as Americans simply smarter? Are we able to make a plan and stick to it? Are we less willing to strike out on a lark knowing there's no fcuking backup and when you go out buying drinks with no money in your wallet you might get punched in the face?

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that America might very well be at the pinnacle of global hegemony for a very good reason. The rest of you pontificating twats are just plain dreamers.

Who's the lucky boy? For me life here ain't so bad. I've some gripes with IOs and ignorant community policy, but all in all, can't complain.

Am I glad I left? Yes. It's given me a better advantage to view the world's western dross. Ironically, it's also provided a better appreciation for the country I left (temporarily). Once America gets over it's domestic negro guilt and liberal idiocy, I might go back. Until then, I will plow every cent into a foreign economy. There are equally powerful ways we can disagree (collectively) without voting.
                    A good post.

I've always taken care of funds - like yourself.

Always realised it was important to have cash in your pocket in able to live a free life and not go to work everyday wearing someother fvckers logo/brand on your t-shirt.

However, re: America - I reckon that it's like Rome (rise and soon to be fall)

Pioneering genius was replaced by corrupt greed.

Happened in Rome - currently happening to the states.

Human nature.

Nature's nature.
                    Blaze it up.

Comment

Global power is a total sum-game.
                      Where one falls, another rises.
                      If America is falling, who is the rising power?

China? India? Have you been to either? I have -- recently.
                      China is rising to a third world power. Not one Chinese in 100 can manage opening a airplane lavatory door without assistance. India? Don't even get me started.

For the next 100 years America will be the sole global superpower. Wishful thinking won't change that. Sorry. All the sad, pathetic predictions of the 80s and 90s haven't come to fruition. The EU was the Holy Grail and sadly it is wallowing like a Brittle punter face-down in the klong of life. It will be grateful if someone rolls it over (IMF) and allows a natural death.

I feel lucky that I was born in America's sweet-spot. We own the world and everybody listens to what we say. We can direct economy and diplomacy with a nod, and can influence global trade with the slightest suggestion. My ancestors started it, my grandfather and father continued it, my aim is to point it out to every nasty, spittle-fueled, bile-dripping Brittle who will absolutely deny it.

In lowest-denominator oik terms, America is Man U. Everyone loves to hate them. It's OK. We don't hold your petty jealousy against us, but instead invite everyone to jump aboard the Love Train. Nearly everybody has -- including you.

Hugs?
                      Last edited by Texpat; 01-28-2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

yep the USA owns the world ,but how much does the USA owe to the world

U.S. National Debt Clock January 2015

in[COLOR=#333333 !important]Share[/COLOR][COLOR=#04558B !important]55[/COLOR]

An Overview of the United States National Debt

The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:

$18,087,727,352,703.72

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 28th, 2015

Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes$59,533 for their share of the U.S. public debt

Public Debt: $12,970,484,928,522.46
                        Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,117,242,424,181.26

Total U.S. National Debt: $18,087,727,352,703.72

Question: Who owns the public debt?

Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.

Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?

Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of May/2014)

1. China, Mainland, $1252.7 billion dollars
                        2. Japan, $1222.4 billion dollars
                        3. Belgium, $348.1 billion dollars
                        4. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $324.9 billion dollars
                        5. Oil Exporters*, $281.8 billion dollars
                        6. Brazil, $261.7 billion dollars
                        7. Switzerland, $184.3 billion dollars
                        8. All Other, $176.6 billion dollars
                        9. Taiwan, $172.9 billion dollars
                        10. United Kingdom, $171.3 billion dollars

*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran

**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands

Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:

Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years

Current: $18,087,727,352,703.72
                        2010: $13,178,317,356,215.73
                        2004: $7,379,052,696,330.32
                        1999: $5,656,270,901,615.43
                        1994: $4,692,749,910,013.32
                        1989: $2,857,430,960,187.32
                        1984: $1,572,266,000,000.00
                        1979: $826,519,000,000.00
                        1974: $475,059,815,731.55
                        1969: $353,720,253,841.41
                        1964: $311,712,899,257.30
                        1959: $284,705,907,078.22

Commonly Asked Questions:

How much Money does the United States Owe China?

A: $1.25 Trillion (May/2014)

How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?

A: $1.22 Trillion (May/2014)

How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?

A: $108.9 Billion (May/2014)

How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?

A: $171.3 Billion (May/2014)

How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?

A: $72.5 Billion (May/2014)

How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?

A: $62.9 Billion (May/2014)
                        I know I'm not perfect
                        -and I don't live to be-
                        Bob Marley

Comment

Everybody quiet now...... shhhh.
                          Watch the spastic Brittle slip into a state of involuntary convulsions...

The Brittle narrative, having been swallowed hook, line, and stinker over the intervening century (since 1914) is finally getting cross-strangulated in the overworked epiglottis spew valve. Watch closely how this specimen flops and gesticulates. A human dynamic rarely seen in the natural world.... Brilliant. shhhhh.

Comment

I feel sorry for the Aussies who have to wait for the supers to get old
                            Aussie defence force no different to yours mate- having joined at 15, I coulda done my 20 years and retired on an index linked rest of life pension at age 35. Probably a CMDR by then. Or gone on to more senior stuff and more years, pension jacked up accordingly. If I'd seen it through of course, which I didn't- and no regrets there frankly, but those who saw it through are reaping the rewards now. Those who made CAPT are pensioned off now, my only remaining classmates are CDRE, RADM, and a VADM. Yes, they are indeed richer than I in real terms.

I however, in the immortal words, did it my way. Retired at the ripe age of 43, never worked since. I have no pension to speak of (small military one if I can be bothered, at 65), just my own portfolio. Indeed, Thailand's lunacy has hurt me financially- I put assets on the ground here as my wife's insurance policy. Ouch. But shit happens, ehh. Get by quite OK, and feel fortunte to have grown up in a (the?) Lucky Country- although I actually made my money elsewhere. Strangest thing, but I'm actually glad I moved to Thailand (for retirement, certainly not career), specifically glad I relocated from east Pattaya to Isaan. Regrets- none to speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by Texpat View Post
                              Global power is a total sum-game.
                              Where one falls, another rises.
                              If America is falling, who is the rising power?

China? India? Have you been to either? I have -- recently.
                              China is rising to a third world power. Not one Chinese in 100 can manage opening a airplane lavatory door without assistance. India? Don't even get me started.

For the next 100 years America will be the sole global superpower. Wishful thinking won't change that. Sorry. All the sad, pathetic predictions of the 80s and 90s haven't come to fruition. The EU was the Holy Grail and sadly it is wallowing like a Brittle punter face-down in the klong of life. It will be grateful if someone rolls it over (IMF) and allows a natural death.

I feel lucky that I was born in America's sweet-spot. We own the world and everybody listens to what we say. We can direct economy and diplomacy with a nod, and can influence global trade with the slightest suggestion. My ancestors started it, my grandfather and father continued it, my aim is to point it out to every nasty, spittle-fueled, bile-dripping Brittle who will absolutely deny it.

In lowest-denominator oik terms, America is Man U. Everyone loves to hate them. It's OK. We don't hold your petty jealousy against us, but instead invite everyone to jump aboard the Love Train. Nearly everybody has -- including you.

Hugs?
                              I reckon the next rising power will be an international mind-set movement. The world is globalised now. Opinion crosses religion and nationality.

Another 100 years? - I make you right. Approximately.

The EU was a ridiculous and agenda'd idea from the start. The continuing defense of it is an embarassingly obvious admission to that. The Greeks were very important to our civilisation once - maybe their time has come again.
                              Last edited by Albert Shagnasty; 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM.
                              Blaze it up.

Comment

Valentina Jewels gets pounded like a btich dog ?????? ??????? ????????? ???????? ???? diferentes tipos de bajinas
                              antalya escort bayan
                              Working...
                              X