Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maya Bay : jam packed with tourists

Hoards of boats out of Ao Nang as well. Horrible experience.

Don't know what made me & the missus go out there. Will post a few pics later.

Thailand Lifer
    Wow! Maya beach was somewhat packed when I was there way back in 2006, but now it is beyond hope sadly. What a huge shame as it is a very beautiful place when not packed with people, garbage and boats. I did love that movie though.

^Ao Nang is also a start off point for many boats to the islands and it isn't really a nice beach because of that.

I didn't really like the movie. The book was good though.

I went to Phi Phi with my daughter around 2000, but we didn't go out to Maya Bay as the seas were too rough while we were there.

Was there in 1980 with a total of about five people. We had the place to ourselves for a couple of hours. Snorkeled off a boat and never set foot on the beach. The water was crystal clear with coral on the seabed. Also the added attraction of reef sharks.

Thailand Lifer
    ^reef sharks..cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TizMe View Post
    I didn't really like the movie. The book was good though.
    I never read the book.... could be a good one to pick up in the future.

Maya Bay

4932FFCE00000578-5389793-image-a-18_1518600435056.jpg

Maya-Bay-Thailand-a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lamphun View Post
    Was there in 1980 with a total of about five people. We had the place to ourselves for a couple of hours. Snorkeled off a boat and never set foot on the beach. The water was crystal clear with coral on the seabed. Also the added attraction of reef sharks.
    Unbelievable but the water is still crystal clear. The rest of the place is a disaster zone.

thats correct - still to this day its on the back packer trail.