Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: What Did You Have For Lunch Or Dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
    so the homemade bread, did you make it?

what are you using for your starter?
    I make sourdough bread twice a week. One sandwich loaf for breakfast toast and one round loaf for dinner.

2018-03-17 07.44.25 HDR.jpg2018-03-19 17.01.47-1.jpg

The starter was made by harvesting locally occurring yeast and bacteria. Here's what's in it. Nothing unusual.

YEAST TAXA
    Saccharomyces cerevisiae (strain 1) 60.83%
    Wickerhamomyces anomalus (strain 3) 37.38%
    Wickerhamomyces anomalus (strain 2) 1.22%
    Saccharomyces cerevisiae (strain 2) 0.55%
    Saccharomyces sp. (strain 3) 0.02%

BACTERIA TAXA
    Pediococcus sp.1 58.79%
    Lactobacillus brevis strain1 30.02%
    Unknown sp.1 5.24%
    Lactobacillus plantarum 3.46%
    Lactobacillaceae sp.3 0.74%
    Lactobacillus zeae strain1 0.44%
    Lactobacillus brevis strain4 0.27%
    Lactobacillaceae sp.1 0.24%
    Lactobacillus sp.7 0.15%
    Lactobacillaceae sp.7 0.12%
    Lactobacillus sp.1 0.09%
    Lactobacillus brevis strain3 0.06%
    Lactobacillus brevis strain6 0.06%
    Lactobacillus paralimentarius 0.06%
    Lactobacillus sp.5 0.06%
    Lactobacillaceae sp.2 0.06%
    Lactobacillus sp.2 0.03%
    Pediococcus sp.2 0.03%
    Lactobacillaceae sp.5 0.03%
    Leuconostoc sp.2 0.03%
    Unknown sp.2 0.03%

Source: http://robdunnlab.com/projects/sourdough/map/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    -|-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Couldn't you just use a packet of yeast some water and flour?

When you say locally harvested what do you mean? I am picturing you right now running around the back yard looking for bacteria.

By the way, none of this is sarcasm. I enjoy cooking and was just curious. unfortunately for me, I don't have an oven. the bread looks good though!

Stupid editor. Someone please delete this post. I want to remove one of the images, but the editor shows that this post has no images at all. And, I can't delete the post, so it will clutter up this thread until a kind admin deletes it.
    รูป รูป
    Last edited by Buadhai; 11-22-2018 at 04:04 PM.

-|-

Right. I could just use a packet of yeast. But, somehow the uncertainty and variety of flavor offered by sourdough intrigues me. And, the bread tastes really good.

The way to harvest yeast and bacteria that eat flour is as follows: Mix enough flour and water to make a mixture with the consistency of pancake batter. Leave it out in an uncovered bowl on your kitchen counter. In a few days it will start to bubble as the colonizing yeasts and bacteria consume the wheat and give off various gases. You can either use it right away, or store it, covered in the fridge. You need to use it to make bread at least once a week to keep it alive. Otherwise, throw some away and add more flour and water.

I keep mine in a plastic bowl with a cover.

0001.jpg

-|-

Thanksgiving/turkey dinner with a hispanic touch

Turkey Picadillo

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 large red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic or 4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
    1 pounds of ground turkey breast, skin removed before grinding
    28 ounce can no-salt added crushed tomatoes
    1/3 cup of coarsely chopped raisins
    cup coarsely chopped green olives
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom. Increase heat to high and cook bell pepper and onion for about 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring frequently

Add garlic, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 3 to 4 minutes

Add turkey, breaking it up with a fork and cook until it whitens, about 5 minutes

Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally

Cuban sandwich (from the net)

4 slices of crusty bread (Pane Italian)
    4 slices of swiss cheese
    2 slices leftover turkey meat
    4 slices of ham
    2 kosher dill pickles, sliced lengthwise
    mustard
    Butter, at room temperature

Preheat a panini sandwich press.

Spread all bread slices on one side with Dijon mustard. Top a slice of bread with swiss cheese, turkey meat, ham, pickles, and second slice of swiss cheese; top with second slice of bread, Dijon side down. Repeat to make a second sandwich.

Spread outside sides of bread with butter and toast in a panini press.

Native American Girls Gather At Plymouth For Day Of Mourning, November 26, 1992

But then some people see Thanksgiving as a good reason..

The girlfriends Thanksgiving Day brunch,..a mimosa and pumpkin chips.
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Cuban sandwich looks ace!

Lunch with my mother yesterday. If youre ever in S. Florida: http://viennawinebar.com/menu/

Hers: some type of chicken salad
    Girlfriends: mimosa and salmon
    Mine: sandwich and the best.grits (the girlfriend ate half)

Night before last we were with some guests at a new (for us) Thai restaurant on S. Beach for dinner.

Couldnt get any pictures of the food (dark setting), but it was great. I had the POPCORN SHRIMP/GOONG TOD GROB: shrimp tempura, shiitake mushrooms, spicy mayonnaise and RED CURRY/GANG DANG PLAA: crispy duck, bell peppers, pineapple, coconut milk, jasmine rice.

The girlfriend was able to get a picture of her drink.

LADY LYCHEE: this is NaiYaRas fresh take on the lychee martini. house-made lychee pure & fresh watermelon beautifully blend with stillhouse clear corn whiskey & fresh lime. served in a chilled cocktail glass with a fat slice of watermelon.

NaiYaRa: http://naiyaramiami.com/

Ate dinner at The Kitchen Table at The Modern (MoMA: Museum of Modern Art) last night while in New York.

It is a nice place with wonderful food: https://www.themodernnyc.com/kitchentable/ - https://www.themodernnyc.com/#the-modern

From their website:

The Kitchen Table at The Modern

The Kitchen Table offers a front-row seat in the heart of the restaurants kitchen for up to four guests, with an inventive, multi-course tasting menu. From this exclusive perch, you can take in the buzzing activity of The Moderns world-class kitchen while your dining experience unfolds before your eyes.

If youre ever in New York. Something you should do

Last night it was dinner at the World Trade Center/One Dine (https://oneworldobservatory.com/en-US/bar-restaurant - https://www.wtc.com/) and then a visit to Oculus (https://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/t...ation-hub.html) to see how they decorated it for the holidays and to catch a ride home.

wonder if anyone left here ever goes out to eat