Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorable Passages

Thailand Lifer

Memorable Passages

Maybe a new spin on an old friend...

“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Here's another Old Friend:

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

If your enemy is angry, irritate him’ — Sun Tzu Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything as a blessing or a curse.”
    ― Carlos Castaneda

Enjoyed him a lot when I was experimenting with mescaline as a teen, but after the first two books lost interest in him and drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesty P. View Post
    Enjoyed him a lot when I was experimenting with mescaline as a teen, but after the first two books lost interest in him and drugs.
    He was 'outed' as a sham but I read all his books and still recall some of the most memorable lines ever put on paper:

"Don't give me a copy of your book(s) as you know what we do with paper here in Mexico"
    If your enemy is angry, irritate him’ — Sun Tzu Trump

Thailand Lifer

Cheers guys

I was reading this guy, Charles Frazier, when I first started Memorable Passages on The Buffalo Board over 3 years ago...I've always liked his writing style...

Feel free to post up some of your favourites...

“And it was pointless...to think how those years could have been put to better use, for he could hardly have put them to worse. There was no recovering them now. You could grieve endlessly for the loss of time and for the damage done therein. For the dead, and for your own lost self.

But what the wisdom of the ages says is that we do well not to grieve on and on. And those old ones knew a thing or two and had some truth to tell...for you can grieve your heart out and in the end you are still where you were. All your grief hasn't changed a thing. What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost.

You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is to go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you.”

Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Thailand Lifer

Castaneda Was A Trip

Yeah, I remember reading all his books, as well...Felt like I've "met Mescalito" a few times...Heh...

“We either make ourselves miserable, or make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.”

Carlos Castaneda

Thailand Lifer

Hunter S. Thompson

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.”

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Thailand Lifer
    “The greatest mania of all is passion: and I am a natural slave to passion: the balance between my brain and my soul and my body is as wild and delicate as the skin of a Ming vase.”

Hunter S. Thompson, The Curse of Lono

Thailand Lifer
    “A mistake constantly made by those who should know better is to judge people of the past by our standards rather than their own. The only way men or women can be judged is against the canvas of their own time.”

Louis L'Amour, Education of a Wandering Man

Quote Originally Posted by BaitongBoy View Post
    “Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.”

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    The best book on recreational drugs ever - IMO - but I understand that - in real life - he was pretty timid about the drugs he took and kept to small doses. I don't really blame him, but his Gonzo character was pure fiction.