Thread: Memorable Passages

Thailand Lifer
    The Emperor of Ice-Cream

Call the roller of big cigars,
    The muscular one, and bid him whip
    In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
    Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
    As they are used to wear, and let the boys
    Bring flowers in last month’s newspapers.
    Let be be finale of seem.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
    Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
    On which she embroidered fantails once
    And spread it so as to cover her face.
    If her horny feet protrude, they come
    To show how cold she is, and dumb.
    Let the lamp affix its beam.
    The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

- Wallace Stevens

"Is it so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

"Simply messing...about in boats -- or with boats... In or out of 'em it doesn't matter. Nothing seems to matter, that's the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

"Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together and have a long day of it.?"

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Col. Jessup:

You can't handle the truth. Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Thailand Lifer

The Snow Man

One must have a mind of winter
    To regard the frost and the boughs
    Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;

And have been cold a long time
    To behold the junipers shagged with ice,
    The spruces rough in the distant glitter

Of the January sun; and not to think
    Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
    In the sound of a few leaves,

Which is the sound of the land
    Full of the same wind
    That is blowing in the same bare place

For the listener, who listens in the snow,
    And, nothing himself, beholds
    Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.

- Wallace Stevens

You have great taste in poetry. Personally, I am not patient enough to search for the good stuff.

Thailand Lifer
    ^ Cheers, Chesty...Not used to getting compliments...

There's not much I don't like when it comes to the written word...

I would have given you a green, but the forum would not allow it. Next time.

Thailand Lifer
    For I have known them all already, known them all—
    Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
    I know the voices dying with a dying fall
    Beneath the music from a farther room.
    So how should I presume?

- T.S. Eliot, from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Thailand Lifer
    Survive long enough and you get to a far point in life where nothing else of particular interest is going to happen.

After that, if you don't watch out, you can spend all your time tallying your losses and gains in endless narrative.

All you love has fled or been taken away. Everything fallen from you except the possibility of jolting and unforewarned memory springing out of the dark, rushing over you with the velocity of heartbreak.

- Charles Frazier, Thirteen Moons

Wish the forum would allow me to green you. I really identify with that one.